PELVIC + ABDOMINAL HEALTH EVALUATION
Guided by my expertise in physical therapy and additional training in traditional healing ways, I am capable of giving you tools to optimize your abdominal and pelvic health as you: develop a relationship with your menstrual cycle, explore your sexuality, navigate your fertile years, consider conceiving, possibly experience pregnancy, and journey through menopause.
Intake Form and Subjective Exam/Platica | The intake form is meant to get an in-depth look at your health, history and goals. Your answers will help guide our discussion/platica in person. In person, to get to the source of your concern, we'll discuss anything that may be relevant to your digestive, bowel and bladder function and your pelvic and sexual health. Spending adequate time talking/platicando can be healing in and of itself because as you reflect and share your story, we are able to connect and develop rapport and trust. It also provides insight into what types of tests and measures are most appropriate. Moving forward with objective testing requires both your written and verbal consent. It is not advisable to move forward with the evaluation if you are not feeling safe, supported, and/or understood.
External Evaluation & Observation | Done to test muscle strength, joint mobility, and/or range of motion of any body parts believed to be affecting the spine, hip, and/or pelvis; assess gait and posture; check pelvic and spinal alignment as well as palpate for optimal organ/viscera positioning; screen the nervous system; evaluate functional movements; and check for presence of diastasis recti (abdominal separation). The external evaluation provides the PT and patient with valuable information such as: sensation; range of motion; presence of pain or muscle tension; muscle strength, endurance, and coordination; and how well the patient is able to transfer load between trunk and lower extremities.
Internal/Vaginal Assessment| Done to evaluate Pelvic Floor Muscles and assess organ positioning/check for presence of prolapse. Once consent it obtained, the internal pelvic floor muscle assessment is done gently using gloves and organic coconut oil (no instruments or speculum are used). The internal assessment provides the PT and patient with valuable information such as: sensation; internal muscle strength, endurance, tone and symmetry; presence of trigger points and/or sites that reproduce pain; and the patient's ability to contract, relax and bear down.
What are indications to have an internal pelvic muscle exam? Incontinence or voiding dysfunction, pelvic pain, prolapse, sexual dysfunction, and/or to get a baseline when starting a pelvic floor muscle exercise program. Initiating a pelvic floor muscle exercise program is advisable if you are interested in: better supporting and stabilizing your organs, pelvis and spine; improving sphincteric control; increasing circulation and sensation; enhancing your sexual experiences and your capacity to orgasm; and/or improving posture and breath control.
Any reasons why an internal pelvic muscle exam may not be appropriate for me? There's a lack of consent on your behalf, you're pregnant, you're immediately post-partum (must wait 6 weeks), you have a current infection or severe pelvic pain.
After comprehensive screening and specific testing, we will determine if it's appropriate to work together and/or if you need any referrals out. If working together is appropriate, strategies that we can implement to help you reach your goals can include:
• Manual Therapy | Abdominal Massage/Sobadas. Manual Lymphatic Drainage. Mobilization of soft tissue, scar tissue, joints, and viscera. Myofascial release.
• Therapeutic Exercise | to promote pain relief; lymphatic drainage; proprioception (awareness); joint stability and mobility; and muscle strength, length, and endurance
• Neuromuscular Re-education| for relaxation, activation, and coordination.
• Modalities | Moist Heat Packs. Pelvic Steams. Castor Oil Packs. Ayurvedic Basti. Ice. Cold Laser. UltraSound. Electrical Stimulation. Moxa (must wait 6 weeks post-partum). Ventoza/Cupping.
• Energetic Work/Spiritual Integration| Energetic clearings/Limpias. Reiki. Ancestral Healing. Meditation/Visualization. Breathwork. Archetypal Healing. Awareness and Recognition of patterns/cycles. Chakra Balancing.
• Lifestyle suggestions| Seasonal Living. Dynamic space consultations. Transition to minimal footwear/barefoot.
• Patient Education | Handouts. Videos. Resources. Referrals.
VIEW OTHERS WAYS TO WORK WITH AMANDA